Translator

Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Tie Dyed Paper - Will it Work?


Hi Everyone, thanks for stopping by my blog today.
The challenge over at A Vintage Journey this week is Just Stain It using your distress stains. This product is fairly new to me but after getting my first bottle about 3 months ago I very quickly realised it to be a must in my craft room. I love how backgrounds turn out and the ease of colouring ribbon, flowers and die cuts makes it perfect for my style of craft.

After a couple of days of thinking about this challenge and looking at the DT 's samples and Tim's blog I realised that distress stains sometimes takes on a look of being tie dyed. Could I actually manage to tie dye a piece of paper with distress stains ? Maybe not but I was going to try.



I started off by wetting a piece of water colour paper and scrunching it up and tied with elastic bands and pressed my colour into the sections. But when I opened it up I realised my paper was too heavy to take the stain in every area. But using a lighter weight watercolour paper I felt would dissolve.


Next attempt, I lifted a piece of copy paper knowing this would just breakdown if I added water I decided to use my mix of Glycerine and water (1 part to 6) and sprayed on my paper on both sides. This softened the paper but didn't make it go extra limp. I then applied my bands and repeated process. It nearly worked but the paper had torn quite a bit with the bands.


So finally I repeated my process of the Glycerine, scrunching my paper from the centre but this time I tied a length of elastic band into the sections rather than wrapping round and round. I squeezed different colours of stain into my paper squeezing each section. I then cut my bands and unravelled the paper and dried with the heat gun. Yippee it worked and I love the effect.


I distressed the edges and then mounted my tie dyed paper onto black card stock and stained my flowers the way Tim shows you swiping my die cuts through the stains. My leaves I also added some texture from a stamp with Archival ink. My little metal embellishment was painted with distress ink and my ribbons were made from an old sheet ripped up and stained.


Well I hope you love the effect as much as I do and give it a go and I'd love to hear your comments on my card.

Happy crafting,

Julie x

Products used :
Sizzix tattered florals strip 
Cheery lynn DL278 horizon fishtail banners
Distress stains


I wish to enter this in to :

14 comments:

  1. It's amazing. I will try it next.
    Hugs Elfi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about trial and error - you resolved a great question to come up with a beautiful answer here Julie and I'm so glad you persevered. What an amazing effect! Love the finished card too with those floral accents. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea and what a great effect! I really must give this a try, as it looks terrific on your card. Julie Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a clever technique Julie and I love the end result, it looks amazing. I quite like your other attempt too, rips and all! It is such a good tip about the glycerine too. This is such a great (and very inventive) way to use Distress Stains.

    Thanks so much for joining in our challenge at A Vintage Journey. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved it Julie! The colors you have chosen are so pleasing, it really gives a fabric feel. I think I am going to try this too..thanks for sharing the method.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic technique ..I think the end result turned out so pretty !! Your card looks so beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this,fabulous design and colours.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie I absolutely love your card and what a great and inventive way to use the stains!! Thanks also for showing the trial and error photos and all the great tips (like the glycerine). The final piece looks amazing and I just love the colours you used!! Thanks so much for adding this to our challenge at A Vintage Journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How clever! This really does make a fantastic background, love the sentiment too! Chrisxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It certainly appears that your experiment was very successful. This is such a fun a fabulous technique. I simply adore the entire thing. Thank you so much for joining us on this leg of the travels here at A Vintage Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fab, really works, lovely Julie,

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW Julie-- love your creativity!!
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia
    Cards Crafts Kids Projects

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a brilliant and original idea Julie to try this tie dye effect with the stains bravo to you, I think the result is gorgeous. Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful! What an inspired idea to try the tie-dying, and I love the results! Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments so I know you have stopped by and look forward to visiting your blog.

Julie x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...